Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hearing about the Oppression from the weaponmaker Tactus in Minoc, and getting additional information from the corrupt Judge Dryden in Yew, the Avatar decided to join the Oppression as a lip-service to infiltrate it by talking to the dark mage Flain in Skara Brae. After the Avatar proved worthy by providing the name of a member of the Great Council, the Avatar was directed to Windemere by Flain with the password of the Oppression. The Avatar received the Black Badge from Elistaria after speaking the password.
Exploring the dark paths of Blackthorn's palace may be quite hazardous to the health of one who is not recognizable as a member of the Oppression. Elistaria of Windemere will give unto thee a Black Badge which, when worn, will save thee from the scrutiny of Lord Blackthorn's foul guards. Be forewarned, though: she will require much of thee for this favor, perhaps even thy Virtue.
- Without the Black Badge, the chance of getting caught and one character being permanently destroyed by Blackthorn's pendulum is high. However, Lord Blackthorn's guards may be bypassed if the magic carpet is used.
- Karma can be recovered after getting the Black Badge by praying at the Shrines and donating money. A destroyed Shrine can be restored with the right Word of Power.
- The Black Badge is not needed to complete Ultima V; it is, at most, a convenience in certain areas.
- A Black Badge is seen in the Royal Museum in Ultima IX.
Ultima V: LazarusEdit
- In Ultima V: Lazarus, it's possible to tell Flain a Word of Power instead of providing the name of a member of the Great Council, but this will also hurt the player's karma.
- In the Lazarus version of the game, wearing the badge opens up many dialogue options and changes how various NPCs react to the Avatar.