Sir Cabirus, from Ultima Underworld
Sir Cabirus had the idea of founding a fortress of the Eight Virtues in the place that was most opposed to it: the Stygian Abyss on the Isle of the Avatar. After getting the permission from Lord British and enough volunteers, he started the project. For years everything went well, but then it became obvious that only his personal leadership and prestige had held the colony together.
When Cabirus died in his sleep (some say he was poisoned, but Corby clearly says that it was a natural death, however untimely), the colonists broke into opposing factions fast. The eight talismans, collected by Sir Cabrius, were looted, since he had no written plans on who to give them to. In the end, the colony became a prison.
The Avatar found his looted grave on the fifth level of the Abyss in Ultima Underworld I. Shortly after, the colony was destroyed by a volcanic eruption.
Doubts about his person Edit
While Cabirus seemed to be an idealist, some observation also shows some other facets of his character:
- He seems extremely racist towards the Gargoyles. He constantly words his hatred into sections of his book whenever Gargoyles are the topic. Despite this, Gargoyles had been invited to the Abyss, but died away due to a plague in the early years of the Abyss.
- He also seems to lack common sense. Otherwise, it is unexplainable that he:
- built a colony into a volcano!
- created a society that couldn't work.
- put civilians into the most dangerous place in the world.