Is there such a proper noun?Edit
I'm starting to notice that the Codex is inventing a lot of proper nouns. Is this such an example? Does "Eight Virtues" appear anywhere?
If "Eight Virtues" is not an Origin-based proper noun, I suggest we do something similar to what was done with "Shrines" in the noun lexicon. There we broke up "Shines" to include Britannia, Gargoyle and Ophidian. We might do the same thing w/Virtue, and thereby not add anything to the truth. AngusM 20:18, September 13, 2010 (UTC)
- I was wondering the same thing the other day. And I was able to find several references to the "Eight Virtues" (caps are from the original text):
- Chapter X: Modern Civilization and Our Universe: "...Conversing with him may help one to determine where lies the centers of the Eight Virtues of the Avatar."
- Afterword: "...becoming enlightened in one or more of the Eight Virtues of the Avatar...".
- Lord British:
- AVAT: To be an Avatar is to be the embodiment of the Eight Virtues. It is to live a life constantly and forever in the Quest to better thyself and the world in which we live.
- QUES: The Quest of the Avatar is to know and become the embodiment of the Eight Virtues of Goodness!
- VIRT: The Eight Virtues of the Avatar are Honesty, Compassion, Valor, Justice, Sacrifice, Honor, Spirituality, and Humility!
- virt: Here, we hold the Eight Virtues sacred.
- However, in the manual the term is not capitalized.
- After the Gipsy:
- "...never do you stray from the path of the Eight Virtues."
- However, in-game the term is not capitalized.
- After the Gipsy:
- So, there is not a complete consistency, but it appears as proper noun several times.--Sega381 01:37, September 14, 2010 (UTC)
- I guess that's good enough. AngusM 02:15, September 14, 2010 (UTC)
Really on the 8-fold truths? Edit
I seem to remember Shay Addams's Official Book of Ultima clearing up a misconception I had about the Virtues' being based on the Buddhist 8-fold truths. That is, I recall the book stating that people tend to think they were based on the 8-fold truths, but they weren't. I just can't find it right now. AngusM 02:21, September 14, 2010 (UTC)
- Actually, I have found it. The text I'm thinking of is on page 54. What's going on is that Addams is also speculating about the reoccurring 8 in U4. He also brought "Chicago 8" and "Eight is Enough" into it. I'm going to assume that the text in the article is the same speculation that we were engaging in. AngusM 17:16, September 15, 2010 (UTC)