Considering that bulk of the use of torches will occur below grounds, it is wise for the traveler to have a great stock of torches before embarking on a journey. The degree of light produced is similar to that of the Create Light spell.
According to Vetron's Guide to Weapons and Armour, a torch has an effectiveness rating of 3, which doubles to 6 if used while still lit.
- In Ultima III and Ultima IV, torches could only be bought in illegal guild shops.
- Why torches were once so difficult to obtain has never been adequately explained.
- In Ultima V torches can still be bought at a guild shop however they can easily be 'borrowed' from towns, or dungeons for no karma loss and are found in the loot of many monsters.
- In Ultima III a lit torch lasts for 254 moves.
- In Ultima IV a lit torch lasts for 100 moves.
- In Ultima V a lit torch lasts somewhere between about 100 and about 125 moves.
- In Ultima VI and later installments, torches were particularly effective when fending off slimes.
- In Savage Empire, torches could be made by wrapping a tarred strip of cloth around a tree branch. They proved useful for burning away giant spider webs, in addition to their usual function.