The Ultima Collection is a compilation of games that contains all the main Ultima games released up to the point of its release; that is, Ultima I to Ultima VIII. The collection does not include Savage Empire, Martian Dreams, Ultima Underworld, and Ultima Underworld II. It was released on February 17th, 1998.
A companion guide, Prima's Official Guide to Ultima Collection, was published at the same time that this compilation.
Included with the game Edit
Together with the game in a CD came the following things:
- An install guide
- The "Ultima Atlas", which consists of black-and-white photocopies of the maps of the games.
CD contents Edit
The CD included in the release contained the following materials:
- All the main games from Ultima I to Ultima VIII, including Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle, and the expansion packs for Ultima VII and Ultima VII Part Two.
- Akalabeth, which was ported to the PC specifically for this compilation.
- All the books are included in several formats: plain text, Microsoft Word 97 DOC files, and Microsoft WinHelp help-files. Some of the illustrations in the documentation are rather pixilated.
- All the color maps are included as Microsoft WinHelp help-files. Some of the maps are strangely divided, making it difficult to put them back together.
- Interviews with Richard Garriott, where he describes some backgrounds of the games.
- A sneak preview to the version of Ultima IX that got axed (see Development History of Ultima IX), including a trailer.
- Trailers for several games: Ultima Online, Wing Commander Prophecy, Sid Meier's Gettysburg and F-15.
- Two demos, for the games Wing Commander Prophecy and Sid Meier's Gettysburg.
- A slowdown program named "MoSlo".
The Japanese edition came out with a vastly different game box (pictured), and included an simple manual,instead of original manuals and maps which created for Japanese version. Also, it had a special edition with the covers of all the games as game cards. It included Japanese version of Ultima I to VI and VIII which traslated into Japanese,and I to V are re-programmed from scratch with new graphics.The exception of Ultima VII which was never translated to Japanese.Akalabeth isn't included this package.