The patch includes the following upgrades:
- It upgrades the graphics to 256 colors, replacing the tileset, font, game, and cutscene graphics.
- It improves the graphical user interface.
- It adds MIDI music support, and adds the original music from the Apple and Commodore versions of the game.
- It corrects several conversation bugs within the original .TLK files.
- It adds command keys to Reload the last saved game and Exit to the OS.
The upgrade can't be installed under DOS, as one of its files, "avpatch.exe", is a Windows console application. However, there is a patched version. Downloading the patched avpatch.exe hereand replacing the old one with it, fixes the problem. This new version can be run in DOS, Windows, and DOS emulators.
Under DOSBox, a bug makes the game crash every time after character creation. Fixing this is simple: create a character and save it, before patching the game. After that the upgrade should work fine.